Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Live Your Passion!

It's June, so that means convention is finally upon us!!! Yay!!! I couldn't be more excited to go in just a few weeks. This will be my second year attending, and the "other" Christina's first year. Going with her will make it so much more enjoyable and fun. Don't get me wrong last year was amazing, but I was bummed not to have my partner in crime with me. Convention 2016 is taking place in Salt Lake City, Utah this year and we have so many more exciting things to look forward to since its in Young Living's home turf.

I'm still a newbie to the convention world, but I want to share with you what I'm looking forward to this year and a couple tips I learned last year.

Farm Day: We didn't get a farm day last year since convention was in Dallas. This year is a different story since we are at the home base, Utah. Farm day was a small fee, but it included transportation and a lunch, which is rad. We can stay at the farm from 10am-5pm, and I imagine Christina and I just might! I am really looking forward to walking out as far as possible into the lavender fields and just getting lost. I've heard they have lavender lemonade stands, and other fun farm things (whatever that means) for us to do.

Foundation Festival: This is the party that kicks off convention Wednesday night. There is a rad performance from Recycled Percussion that we can participate for a small donation (all benefiting the Young Living Foundation). Last year the opening event also included appetizers and dessert, so hopefully this year will too. This year seems to be more of a carnival theme with games and lots of action packed fun. The opening event really sets the ton for the whole convention.

Young Living Spa: This is a MUST! Whether you are getting a raindrop massage, a regular massage, or a facial you won't be disappointed. Last year my raindrop massage was amazing and I loved how I felt afterward. They really know how to make you feel pampered.

Fun Tips: 

Eating At Convention: Food can get pricey. I purposefully booked a hotel that included breakfast to help cut costs. I will also go to the store and get pre made salads, some snack foods to carry with me, bottled water, and of course wine. Doing this will cut costs A TON. I don't want to shell out $10-$20 each meal. I plan to go out for some drinks and likely a couple dinners with team mates and cross line friends for sure, but I don't want to be eating out for every meal.

What To Wear: Officially, the dress code is business casual. I do not suggest going out and buying a whole new wardrobe. That being said, last year there was a WIDE variety (use your imagination) of attire and I expect this year to be no different. I plan to be comfortable and still look nice. I'm planning on nice jeans paired with a blouse, or leggings and a nice shirt. On farm day I will wear shorts. Please keep in mind that every day you will be walking A TON! Like, a ridiculous amount. Wear comfortable shoes or you will be sorry.

What To Bring: Last year I carried a large (think diaper bag sized) bag with me. I liked it because it had two handles-- one for over the shoulder and one for across my body. It was a sturdy bag that fit everything I needed while being out and about all day. I carried my water bottle, snacks, oils (obviously), a note book and pens, business cards, portable phone charger, and other random items with me all day. It was nice to have a bag that worked well and didn't feel over loaded.

Don't Worry, Be Happy: Seriously. This is the most important one. Will you make it to all the break out sessions you wanted? Nope. Will you get the farm day with your team? Probably not. Were they sold out of the rad diffuser you wanted? Yep. Things happen. The week won't go completely as planned and YL will have some logistically issues. Should we lose our minds? Please don't. YL stepped up last year and fixed some major issues they had with break out sessions and I know that they are working hard to get things as perfect as possible this year. Convention is so freakin fun if you relax and just enjoy every moment. People are fun. Meeting your team and connecting with people you only see on Facebook otherwise is amazing! Convention is so good for your soul and a huge motivator if you let it.


Young Living featured the convention and things to do in Salt Lake on their podcast. Check it out here. You can also check out some of their picks for food and fun in the area as well as download a printable guide of the area. Genius!



Look out for our convention wrap up blog after we get home at the end of June. Also, follow us on Twitter. We will both be live tweeting the events and breakouts we attend.

Christina Stone Holcomb: @LiveKind27
Christina Valenzuela: @chrisval37



1 comment: